Following the release of the Buxton Visitor Economy Strategy (VES) Report this July, a discussion regarding the town’s digital presence took place at the Old Hall Hotel between interested parties including Vision Buxton (for the Visit Buxton website and media), Explore Buxton and Marketing Peak District & Derbyshire (for the Visit Peak District & Derbyshire website and media). The VES report suggested a new website for the town be developed. After discussion, it was agreed this was not necessary. However, there are aspects where we could do more and work together better, particularly, for example, on social media.
One shared issue was (is) the sourcing of images of the town and its many annual events to use on image-based social media such as Twitter and Instagram. It was therefore suggested to develop a bigger stock of photographs which could be used for free, building on those in the toolkit developed in 2014 by High Peak Borough Council and Vision Buxton (which is hosted on our website). Such images could also be used by other interested media, such as travel magazines and news websites, who are featuring the town. Requests for such images have been increasing as interest in the town builds with the re-opening of the Crescent.
Photographs will be tagged with an “Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs” Creative Commons license. This allows others to download images and share/use them as long as they credit the images (if requested), do not change them in any way or use them commercially.
Everyone is welcome to submit photographs. However, there is only limited storage space so only the very best / appropriate / relevant photographs will be used. These will be selected at the discretion of the Vision Buxton administrator supported by download and engagement information.
If you are interested, please read the following terms:
- Only submit photographs you are happy to be used for free across all media platforms. Additional permissions will not be sought. No payment for their use will be made.
- Please ensure you have the permission to use the image of anyone identifiable in the photograph. You must confirm this upon submission.
- Please submit high resolution photographs only (above 2000 pixels across the longest side).
- Both landscape and portrait-orientated photographs can be used.
To submit a photograph:
- please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- include your name and details of any accreditation
- include the year it was taken
- include details of what the photograph features (which event etc)
- confirm that anyone identifiable in the photograph has granted permission for their image to be used
To help develop the stock, we currently need more images of Buxton’s woodlands and nature (including water), views of the town (sunny, autumnal, snowy etc), architectural features, annual events and its many wonderful buildings.
So if you have taken an amazing picture of the town and are happy for it to be used to represent the town in international magazines and media, please get in touch!