Historic England’s High Street Heritage Action Zones (HAZ) fund aims to champion and revive historic high streets. Funding can be used to deliver physical improvements and cultural activities which help to regenerate high streets and restore local historic character.
High Peak Borough Council (HPBC) selected the Spring Gardens area of Buxton as requiring the most regeneration and successfully applied for a grant in 2019. The HAZ will compliment the Future High Street Fund application to regenerate this area of the town centre.
Buxton’s HAZ will focus upon the following themes:
- Production of a suite of guidance leaflets regarding traditional shopfront and signage
- Explore the restoration and continuation of the missing colonnade around the Cavendish Arcade
- Repair and conversion of vacant listed buildings
- Repair and restore the external façade of upper floors
- Heritage interpretation at key visitor entrance points
- Offer a complementary face lift scheme to allocate small grants towards modern units to improve colour scheme and signage
- Fund and deliver an education pack for school children.
For further information, please contact the HPBC Regeneration Team via their website here.